Take your Human Resources & Benefits to the next level with 2HB!

How Will Insurance Brokers in Rockford, IL Get Paid?

by | Sep 26, 2019 | Blog, Insurance Brokers in Rockford IL

If you’re a tiny organization owner and are pondering of working with insurance brokers in Rockford, IL to provide added benefits for your employees, you might be wondering how brokers get paid. Actually, in Illinois, the law states health insurance brokers can’t charge a charge for their services to consumers. That signifies, operating having a broker to secure a wellness insurance coverage policy for the workers can deliver numerous advantages – at no added expense.

So, how do wellness insurance brokers in Rockford IL get paid? And how does that process have an effect on how you obtain and update health insurance coverage plans? When an organization owner enlists the support of a broker to pick an insurance strategy for his company, that broker becomes the broker of record. The broker then represents and manages the policyholder’s insurance policies. Becoming a broker of record may be the initial official step that requires place for any broker to be paid. The client then indicators a broker of record letter when a policy is selected, entering into a legal partnership using the broker and also the chosen insurance coverage carrier.


Although the law varies from state-to-state, in Illinois, health insurance coverage firms spend brokers a commission for signing up new policy holders. That implies for the consumer, there is no direct charge or charge for enlisting the assistance of a health insurance broker. When an organization owner signs the broker of record letter, the broker then receives any commission on a purchased overall health insurance coverage policy.

Pay Structure

Commissions paid to brokers come out from the wellness insurance premiums business owners pay each month for themselves and their employees. But how can you be sure most of the income you spend each month is really going toward wellness insurance coverage, instead of a broker’s commission? The Very Affordable Care Act requires insurance coverage providers to spend at the very least 80 % of payments received for health insurance premiums on actual wellness care costs. Generally known as the 80/20 Rule, this mandate makes it possible for the other 20 % to go toward administrative, overhead and promoting charges, including broker commissions.

Most insurance organizations will pay insurance brokers in Rockford, IL a set percentage with the premium, although some insurers might instead spend a flat charge. Typically, a broker will acquire a larger rate for enrolling workers in new policies, as well as a decrease rate for renewing policies. Typically, the commission is also graded. This means the insurance carrier pays a larger percentage on the 1st dollars and scales back because the premium increases. This system permits brokers to acquire reasonable compensation, even on smaller accounts. Additionally, it encourages them to supply precisely the same quality of service to smaller companies as they would to a bigger firm.

Human Resources & Benefits Consultant in Rockford, IL

2HB Human Resources & Benefits Solutions is a full-service human resource outsourcing company dedicated to providing customized HR solutions to our clients. We specialize in providing clients with the resources to help them better manage their HR function.

To learn more about how we can help you in each of the following areas, click on any link below for more details:


benefits consultant in Rockford

Whether you are a start-up company or an established organization we can tailor our services to your specific requirements, get to know your employees, and become an integral part of your team!